Welcome to the Texas Bandmasters Association Job Bank Application.
Job Posting Summary:
Below is a summary of the Job Posting you selected.
Click on the 'Home' link above to return to the Job Posting list.
|Job Posting Summary|
|Position Title:||Band Director|
|Academic Level:||High School|
|Position Description:||Primary Purpose:
Direct and manage the instrumental music and band program district-wide. Provide students with appropriate learning activities and experiences designed to help them fulfill their potential for intellectual, emotional, physical, and social growth and provide an opportunity to participate in extracurricular band. Enable students to develop competencies and skills to function successfully in society.
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university
Valid Texas teaching certificate
Demonstrated competency in instrumental music
Current automatic external defibrillator (AED) certificate
Knowledge of overall operation of instrumental music program
Knowledge of curriculum and instruction
Knowledge of state and UIL policies governing band
Ability to manage budget and personnel
Ability to instruct students and manage their behavior
Ability to interpret data
Strong communication, public relations, and interpersonal skills
One year student teaching or approved internship and band directing experience
Major Responsibilities and Duties:
1. Direct instrumental performers, including marching band, 6th grade band, concert band, soloists, and ensembles.
2. Assist in directing middle school band.
3. Establish performance requirements, enforce academic requirements, and verify each student’s eligibility to participate in band.
4. Provide for band participation at extracurricular events, including concerts, football games, pep rallies, parades, and UIL.
5. Support band booster club activities.
6. Develop and implement plans that fulfill the requirements of the district’s curriculum program and show written evidence of preparation as required. Prepare lessons that reflect accommodations for individual student differences.
7. Plan and use appropriate instructional and learning strategies, activities, materials, and equipment that reflect understanding of the learning styles and needs of students assigned. Present subject matter according to guidelines established by the Texas Education Agency, board policies, and administrative regulations.
8. Work cooperatively with special education teachers to modify curricula as needed for special education students according to guidelines established in Individual Education Plans (IEP).
9. Work with other member of the staff to determine instructional goals, objectives, and methods according to district requirements.
10. Obtain and use evaluative findings (including student achievement data) to determine program effectiveness and ensure that program renewal is continuous and responds to student needs.
Student Growth and Development
11. Conduct ongoing assessments of student achievement through formal and informal testing.
12. Be a positive role model for students and support mission of the school district.
Classroom Management and Organization
13. Create an environment conducive to learning and appropriate for the physical, social, and emotional development of students.
14. Manage student discipline in accordance with the Student Code of Conduct and student handbook.
15. Accompany and supervise students on out-of-town trips activities and arrange transportation, lodging, and meals for out-of-town events.
16. Take all necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, equipment, materials, and facilities.
17. Establish and maintain a professional relationship and open communication with parents, students, colleagues, and community members.
Budget and Inventory
18. Develop and administer budget based on documented program needs and ensure that operations are cost effective and funds are managed wisely.
19. Coordinate fundraising activities and manage funds.
20. Maintain current inventory of all fixed assets related to the program.
21. Oversee cleaning, repairing, and storing of all instruments and equipment.
22. Compile, maintain, and file all reports, records, and other documents required.
Professional Growth and Development
23. Participate in staff development activities to improve job-related skills.
24. Attend and participate in faculty meetings and serve on staff committees as required.
25. Comply with federal and state laws, State Board of Education rule, UIL rules, and board policy in the band area.
26. Assist with recruitment, selection, training, supervision, and evaluation of assistant band directors and other music personnel.
Monitor the performance of assistant band director.
Tools/Equipment Used: Personal computer and peripherals; standard instructional equipment; automated external defibrillator (AED)
Posture: Prolonged standing; frequent kneeling/squatting, bending/stooping, pushing/pulling, and twisting
Motion: Frequent walking/marching
Lifting: Regular moderate lifting and carrying (15–44 pounds); may lift and move musical instruments
Environment: Work outside and inside; exposure to extreme temperatures (hot, cold, and inclement weather), humidity, and prolonged sunlight; work on uneven or slippery surfaces; frequent exposure to noise
Mental Demands: Maintain emotional control under stress; work prolonged or irregular hours; frequent district and statewide travel
|Contact Person:||Dr. Dwaine Augustine - Superintendent|
|Contact Phone #:||409-243-2133|
|Contact Email Address:||firstname.lastname@example.org|
Please feel free to contact the Texas Bandmasters Association office via email at email@example.com or by telephone at 210-492-8878 / toll-free 866-944-8922 should you require any additional assistance with this application.